Beyond BVU: Amalfi Coast

Samantha Hirschman | Blogger

As you may have already heard or read in my previous posts, I have lost my Aunt Nicole. I found out while I was on the Amalfi Coast, so I have not posted about my experience on the coast. So, I am now finally going to post after almost two weeks. 

A three hour bus ride and we arrived at the Vesuvius Volcano. “The walking sticks aren’t worth it,” someone said. All I thought was, “I hope you’re right.” As I chugged my way up the steep mountain, I couldn’t help but gaze at the incredible coast line. Stunning.

I only stopped long enough to take a quick photo. “Keep going,” I thought or you won’t want to. So I kept putting one foot in front of the other. I reached the top. I had climbed a mountain.

samrock

On the way to the hotel is when I received the call about my aunt. It’s still crazy to me that she is gone. We stayed in Sorrento. Our hotel was the 3rd floor above a Frozen Yogurt shop and a Bed and Breakfast. The rooms were comfortable and had a glass door shower, supplied with shampoo and bar soap. There was a TV and free Wi-Fi. The bed was also more comfortable than my apartment’s bed.

We had the night to ourselves. Jamie and I walked around the area to find a good meal. We wanted to eat near the water, but we didn’t want to walk the large staircase to get to those restaurants. We settled for one near the hotel. Although it didn’t have a waterfront view, the food was good and inexpensive.

The next day, Saturday, we went to the island of Capri. I was excited to spend some time in the hot weather and a swim suit, but was still saddened by my family loss.

I spent time near the water. Most of my afternoon was on the beach. And that was okay. I cleared my mind, emptied my thoughts, and relaxed. Jamie and I went on a boat tour around the island. I have never seen a more blue water. While on the boat, we went through the arch in the rock. That part was cool.

sambirds

samtworocks

I did a little window shopping with some girls when we got back from the island. And later, I spent time with a different group of students getting gelato and having a few drinks at a bar around the corner from our hotel. I had a drink called a Luigi and then a Pina Colada. Both were very good, and it was wonderful to sit and chat with new people.

samcity

The last day, Sunday, was in Pompeii. It is the famous city that was ruined by the eruption of Vesuvius in 79 AD. While we toured the city, we were saw the foundation of a city. There was not much more than that. I learned that the city’s population was 20,000 people, only double the size of Storm Lake or Spencer, Iowa. The above photo is of the city center. The below is of the bodies recovered from the eruption. The body in the center. It captured my attention as soon as I walked in. The body is shaped as if he or she is praying. Most of the other bodies are all running. There was one covering a child. One that looked pregnant. But the one who was praying caught my attention. In the midst of a volcanic eruption, this one stops to pray.

samsculpture