Lithium ion battery causes laptop battery fire

Aaron Nicolaisen | Staff Writer

Buena Vista recently recalled Dell Latitude D830 laptops due to a lithium iron battery catching fire at a GPS site.

This incident has raised several safety concerns regarding this specific model of computer purchased in 2008 leading to a campus recall according to BVU Network Engineer Scott Wunschel.

During this incident, the Lithium ion battery in the computer began to smoke and hiss causing concern. An individual not associated with Buena Vista University withdrew the laptop from the building and placed it outside where it later caught fire.

Lithium ion batteries are most commonly found in today’s consumer electronics. Numerous precautions are built directly into these batteries to prevent the possibility of spontaneous fire or explosion. The risk of fire or explosion is due to the inability of the battery to dissipate heat quickly resulting in overheating.

Buena Vista students have only been in possession of Dell laptops purchased after 2011. On the other hand, if students encounter one of the laptop models in question during work study or daily activities, consult with your supervisor to get a 2fix replacement. The D830 laptops have not officially been recalled for a battery defect, but
Buena Vista is recalling them as a safety precaution to prevent future laptop fires.

When a battery becomes overheated, one of the many cells inside fails allowing the heat to spread throughout the battery creating a dangerous situation. In order to prevent future accidental fire or explosions, be aware of the warning signs which include bulging of the battery, smoking, or hissing sounds from the devices.

Other factors that contribute to greater fire hazards are exposure to extreme heat or cold, third-party or after-market batteries, or sudden impact caused by dropping the device.

Lithium ion batteries include a built in safety measure that prevents them from being charged when under thirty-two degrees and also prevent them from overheating. However, safety measures can be faulty increasing the risk of fire hazard within the devices battery.

If any of these signs or conditions occur, immediately stop using the device and place it away from people in case of a sudden explosion, according to Wunschel.

Warning signs may not be present during the time of the incident and may appear a short time afterwards.

“We’ve purchased a lot of computers from different vendors over the years and they all state that a battery shouldn’t be used again after it is dropped,” Wunschel said.

If interested in learning more about lithium ion laptop battery fires and explosions or have experienced smoking and hissing from your own devices, YouTube “lithium ion battery fire” to learn more about the dangerous effects of battery fires and how to protect yourself from them.

“This was an eye-opener for everyone involved about the dangers of these types of batteries. To be honest, we’re fortunate that no one was hurt and very little property damage was done,” Wunschel said.

Photo by Taylor Staab

View Comments (1)