Audition for student directed play “Iowa”

Ashley Lemke | Assistant News Co-Editor

Auditions for the play “Iowa” will be held this week on November 17 and 18 in Anderson Auditorium 7:00-9:00pm.

“Iowa” is a raw, absurd, hilarious bawdy new comedy by Jenny Schwartz with music by Todd Almond, where we watch Becca’s life crumble and erode away. Her mom met a new husband on Facebook and now they are moving to Iowa. Becca is forced to say goodbye to her bulimic best friend, beloved math teacher, neighborhood pony, and life as she knows it,” Student Director Matt Schulz said.

The production will be showing February 3-6.

This production is part of “New Vision Series” where an upper level division student can apply for a director position. The student(s) selected for this program will direct a main stage slot as a part of University Theatre’s main stage season. This type of opportunity is unheard of at other universities.

The last time a student got this opportunity at BVU was two years ago. In fact, the theatre professors do not need to pick any proposals from students and they also have the option to choose several. Schulz was the only student who got selected for this opportunity this year.

Schulz chooses the show, casts it, and has the final say on everything involving the show.

Anyone and everyone are welcome to audition. Auditions are open to all students, faculty, staff, and Storm Lake community members. No college theatre experience is needed in order to audition, according to Schulz.

Scripts are available to read through in DE 202 (the theatre suite).

“If you are off campus or not taking a class, and are still in the area, you are still eligible for parts! At auditions, there is a form you will fill out, and it asks whether there are any conflicts where you would miss rehearsal. As long as you are there at every practice, with the exception of any conflicts you mentioned on your audition form, you are excused,” Schulz said.

Schulz said rehearsals are to begin on Sunday January 3, and continue up through the performances. There will be rehearsals 5 nights a week, Sunday through Thursday.

“Rehearsals will run about 3 hours long. However, depending on what part of the rehearsal process we are in, you might not have to be at every rehearsal. I realize we are all college students, I understand how important time is to all of us, so I try to never waste time. I care about my cast, so I will use my judgment every rehearsal. I will never keep rehearsals past 3 hours, but there will most likely be times you will get to go early,” Schulz said.

“This is a very exciting time to be a part of BVU Theatre. This production is edgy, hysterical, and brand new. So new, that this BVU production will be the first production of it since its off-Broadway debut last spring,” Schulz said.