Healthy Hints: Staying Healthy Through Finals

Emily Block | Blogger

If you’ve ever noticed that you seem to get sick at the most stressful times, it’s not a coincidence. Stress activates the General Adaptation Syndrome, which causes the adrenal gland to release stress hormones like glucocorticoids, epinephrine, and cortisol releasing hormone. At this point, cortisol helps to inhibit the immune system so it doesn’t over-respond. As a result, you’re more susceptible to viruses and infections that a fully functioning immune system would often take care of. (Thanks, natural selection).
You may have also heard of cortisol as the “fat-storing hormone.” Cortisol responds to physiological demands by picking the right substrate (carbohydrate, fat, or protein). The short term “fight or flight” response triggers release of free fatty acids, but extended stress (i.e., finals week) can lead to increased lipogenesis (fat creation), and particularly visceral obesity (storage in the abdominal region).
Great, so I have to take finals AND I’m going to get sick and fat?
Fortunately, it doesn’t have to be this way.  Here are some tips to prime your immune system and keep stress (and cortisol levels!) at bay:

1. Eat a variety of foods
As tempting as it can be to reach for the same meal every time you visit the dining hall (guilty as charged), it’s important to incorporate variety into your diet to ensure you’re meeting your macro and micronutrient needs. Eating cereal for every meal might seem easy and efficient, but repetitive diets are often deficient in the vitamins and minerals that keep your body functioning properly.
Hit up the salad bar to stock up on a variety of vegetables. I like to enjoy mine with hummus and/or salsa.
Be adventurous with different fruits. An apple a day may keep the doctor away, but oranges, bananas, melons, and strawberries each contain different micronutrients that will work together to keep your immune system happy.

IMG_1094-2

2. Get enough sleep
Yeah right, sleep during finals week?  Seriously, though–lack of sleep will only contribute to the stress that’s triggering that ever so lovely cortisol response. Ditch the alarm clock though, because that initial 20 seconds of terror you experience when it goes off actually induces your fight or flight response and–you guessed it–increased cortisol secretion (the snooze button is your worst enemy). Go to bed early. This might sound counterintuitive when you’re trying to cram for that last minute accounting exam, but lack of sleep is a form of stress as far as your brain is concerned. It’s much better to wake up naturally, and you’ll feel way better throughout the day (and more focused for your exams!) I often find when I go to bed at 9:30 pm, I’ll wake up at 6:30 am ready to go. Your body is pretty good at regulating sleep needs on its own. Better sleep=better mood=less stress=less sickness and weight gain.

3. Exercise!
I can’t think of a better way to naturally reduce stress and anxiety. There are countless benefits to regular physical activity. 30 minutes of exercise can give you a break from studying, and it can also release endorphins that improve your mood, regulate your appetite, AND increase your immune response. Schedule a 30-60 minute break, so you don’t put it off. You don’t have to run a 5k either: walking or biking with a friend is a great way to relax, socialize, and increase your physical activity.

4. Keep blood sugar levels regulated
I’ve found that finals week does one of two things to a college student’s diet: either you get so busy you forget to eat, or you get so stressed with that 14-16 page paper (double spaced, 1″ margins, times new roman) that you’ve finished an entire package of Oreos without batting an eye. Unfortunately, both of these situations have a negative effect on blood sugar.  Prolonged fasting will cause your blood sugar levels to dip, causing your metabolism to slow in order to conserve energy. Low energy levels lead to decreased focus and mood swings–neither of which are beneficial to students who are already stressed. On the other end of the spectrum, eating high sugar foods will cause a sudden increase in blood sugar, causing insulin levels to also spike.  This insulin “spike” often results in an overshoot–that is, too much sugar is taken into the cells. This again results in low blood sugar, making you hungry again. You keep reaching for those cookies, and the cycle continues.
For best results, have a snack or meal every 3-4 hours.  Make sure to get a balance of all the macronutrients in order to keep blood sugar level and feel satisfied longer.
Instead of snacking while you write your paper, take a short 5-10 minute break and grab a bite to eat.  This will give your brain time to recharge, and taking the time to eat will help your brain reach a sense of satiety.

5. Stay Hydrated!
Water is extremely important- It makes life possible! Our bodies are made up of approximately 60% of it! Dehydration occurs when you lose more fluid than you take in.  Mild dehydration can lead to drowsiness, headaches, and decreased ability to concentrate–none of which are beneficial during an already stressful time.
Drink 8-10 glasses of water daily.  A good rule of thumb is to drink half your body weight in ounces, more if you’re losing fluid through exercise.
Grab a reusable water bottle (to be environmentally friendly), and use a straw! I find sipping through the day is much easier (and more effective) than trying to gulp down 60 ounces right before bed. Try adding fruit to your water for an infused flavor!

Screen Shot 2015-11-30 at 12.59.00 PM

6. Relax!
It’s easy to get caught up in the hustle of everyday life. Whether it’s finals week, graduation parties, a big wedding, or a stressful week at work, don’t forget to take time for yourself and relax.
Yoga is a great way to relieve stress.  A proper yoga session can give you time to refocus your brain, and stretching is a great way to release tension you may have built up through the day.

While we as humans may have a predisposition toward stress and its negative effects, don’t forget that it is manageable! You are in control of your life, and taking small steps every day can lead to a more enjoyable lifestyle and greater overall health. Unlike that physics final you may be taking this week, it’s not rocket science.