2017 Travel Courses

Interim Travel Courses

Europe
Course Leaders: Annamaria Elsden and Swasti Bhattacharyya
Spend January of next year touring the most famous and beautiful spots in Europe — see EIGHT countries for the price of one! Locations are Amsterdam, Prague, Munich, Salzburg, Rome, Vatican City, Pompeii, Florence, Paris, and London. Just some of the sites include castles, museums, a concentration camp, the Eiffel Tower, and Stonehenge! Estimated cost: $4900

Perú
Course Leaders: Jared White and Ben McArthur
Immerse yourself in Peruvian culture and the Spanish language during our January visit to Lima, Perú. Try new cuisine, meet new people, and learn Spanish! The trip includes enrollment in level-specific language courses, a short flight to Cuzco, and a tour of Machu Picchu, Perú’s hidden city high up in the Andes mountains. Lodging and food will be provided by local Peruvian families during the duration of our trip. All levels of Spanish, from complete beginner to advanced speaker, are welcome. The estimated cost is $3800, which includes three credits towards the Spanish major/minor and two daily meals as part of the homestay.

Cuba
Course Leaders: Steve Mills and Miranda Pollock
Trapped in a time warp, Cuba is a place where you can experience life without contemporary Western Influence. Majestic Art Deco architecture with shabby facades share a place where you can witness classic cars ad horse drawn carts on the same roads that Ernest Hemingway once strolled. Cuba is now opening its doors to selected American visitors. This trip will include visits to schools, farms, and art galleries. Be among the first to step back into history as we explore the culture, people, beaches, and life of Cuba. Trip will be from January 5th-16th, with three days on-campus. Estimated cost: $4000

2017 Storytelling with Walt Disney by Land and Sea:
Walt Disney World, Universal Studios & Disney Cruise Business & Media January Interim
Course Leaders: Henry Hardt and Jerry Johnson
The Business & Media Interim travel course examines the business and communication strategies of effective storytelling, and shares how “Walt Disney’s Way” can be used in any field of study or career. Our storytelling journey begins in Orlando, Florida, home of Walt Disney World and Universal Studios Florida and extends to the Disney Dream on the Disney Cruise Line. The trip will be from January 02 to January 15, 2017. Estimated cost: $3,300

MRKT 353: Field Experiences in Sports Marketing and Management: Phoenix
Course Leaders: Scott Anderson and Jennifer Hecht
This course is dedicated to giving you a real-world perspective toward working and making a living in sports management. The course consists of two weeks in Phoenix, AZ visiting with marketing and management professionals at major sports organizations such as the Arizona Diamondbacks, Phoenix Suns, Phoenix International Raceway, Phoenix Coyotes; the TPC Scottsdale (Phoenix Open); and the Greater Phoenix Convention and Visitor’s Bureau. Travel dates are January 9th to 20th. Course prerequisite: MRKT 306, MGMT 306 or permission of instructor. Estimated cost is $2300.

May/June Travel Courses

Slaínté! The Irish Experience
Course leaders: Andrea Frantz Bethany Larson
An Irish politician once wrote: ‘Ireland is where strange tales begin and happy endings are possible.’ In our exploration of both modern and historic Ireland, we will learn firsthand through its people how storytelling is the foundation of its rich culture. Unlike other travel trips, the Irish Experience places some emphasis on immersion in small-town village life. For one week, students will live in the southwest coastal village of Sneem and get to know its people and landscape personally. We will then travel the country eventually making our way through Northern Ireland to take in such iconic spaces as Giant’s Causeway, the Cliffs of Moher, and the place where the Titanic set sail for the last time. Students will experience the Irish culture through a photo documentary/magazine project as well as immersion in traditional Irish storytelling and performance. Dates of travel: May 23-June 7, 2017. Estimated cost: $3,995

Rapa Nui: Easter Island
Course Leaders: Swasti Bhattacharyya and David Boelter
Is Easter Island on your bucket-list? Well now’s your chance to experience it like never before. Join our BVU May 2017 travel course as we explore the world of the gigantic statues (ancient moai), live with local Rapanui people, and learn about life in the Pacific Ocean. Interested? Then watch for our posters and upcoming informational sessions. Estimated cost $4900.