Campus votes in 2016-17 Student Senate leadership

Chyan Metzger | Contributing Writer

Buena Vista University’s (BVU) Student Senate executive board elections are over and the board for the 2016-2017 year has been announced.

Katelyn Brinkerhoff, a junior environmental science major from Sioux City, has been elected president. Vice president will be Sarah Mackey, a junior mathematics and computer science major from Center Point. Jacob Staudt, a junior biology and chemistry major from Forest City, was named treasurer. Morgan Langan, a junior communication studies major from O’Neill, Neb., will serve as secretary.

“Every year it’s exciting to see who emerges and take the reins in Senate,” said three-year member and new secretary, Langan.

The election process began with nominations within Student Senate. Nine overall nominations were made for the four executive board positions.

The candidates campaigned for themselves by creating posters to hang around campus and promoting themselves through social media.

Before elections were open, Student Senate held an ACES event to educate the campus about each candidate running for office. Each contestant was asked a specific question pertaining to the position they were running for. They also gave a five-minute speech to tell the audience more about themselves and why they would be the best contender for Student Senate.

“The ACES event gave an opportunity for past leadership positions to shine and to show I was qualified to be president,” Brinkerhoff said.

Voting was open to campus March 9 through 16 on BeaverNet under the Student Activities tab.

One of Brinkerhoff’s main goals as president during the 2016-2017 school year is to gain and retain membership for Student Senate. She would also like to see more events put on by Student Senate.

“I’m excited for the new executive board, and it was interesting to hear how capable each individual is through their speeches at the ACES event,” Brinkerhoff said.

President Brinkerhoff also explained Student Senate is the “voice” for students. She is looking forward to being a leader for the students, but she also wants to give freedom to other members of Student Senate to emerge as leaders.

Brinkerhoff said the new executive board is eager for the opportunity to work and get to know the students, faculty, and staff in the coming year.

Graphic by Nic Gibson