AHLS panelists begin preparation for Panetta

Early last Wednesday morning, American Heritage Lecture Series (AHLS) student panelists sat with their faculty coaches for a round-table discussion that marked the beginning of their fall preparation for this year’s AHLS speaker, Former U.S. Secretary of Defense and Director of the CIA Leon E. Panetta.

The six student panelists will be on stage with Panetta on Oct. 7, engaging in a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to question and learn from a world leader.

This year’s panelists include:

Elizabeth Kim – senior biology and Spanish major
Sarah Mackey – junior math and computer science major
Madeleine McCormick – sophomore digital media major
Alejandra Mendoza – junior exceptional student service and instruction major
Sarah Schlichte – senior biology major
Tyler Smith – junior athletic training major

Alternates:
Morgan Langan, junior communications studies major
Mackenzie Rappe, sophomore digital media major

Over the summer, panelists were assigned both the National Public Radio ‘Serial’ podcasts about Bowe Bergdahl, the American solider who walked off-base and was captured by the Taliban during Panetta’s time in office, and Worthy Fights: a Memoir of Leadership in War and Peace, Panetta’s memoir.

Fresh from their summer assignments, panelists read aloud their first question to AHLS coaches during their Wednesday morning meeting, inspired from the reading, podcast or the essay they submitted for when they applied last spring.

In-between bites of breakfast, coaches encouraged panelists to formulate both engaging and self-driven questions.
For panelist Alejandra Mendoza, Panetta’s autobiography allowed her to see him in a different light, one that reminds her of her own desire to help others and make a difference.

“I feel very strongly about my culture and I care about what’s happening in the world right now,” Mendoza begins. “I’m going to try to come up with a question about Mexican Americans and what part they play in our country.”

Mendoza was sitting with her parents when she received the email acknowledging her acceptance. She was shocked – her parents were proud.

Much like Mendoza’s astonishment over her new title, Captain Thomas Gorman was surprised when he was asked to become a Moderator for the event.

Gorman was an audience member during Condoleezza Rice’s visit in 2013 and was moved by BV’s ability to bring in prestigious guests for educational opportunities.

“This is an event where students have a legitimate conversation,” Gorman said. “When I was selected I was honored, humbled.”

Gorman feels having a variety of faculty coaches helping students prepare for the event is important.

“They motivate students from their particular field,” Gorman said. “We might not get all of the talented student panelists had we not had a diverse faculty coach selection.”

Panelist member Sarah Schlichte enjoys watching coaches interact with the panelists, sharing tips on how they can better their question by wording or even explain the purpose of their question.

Schlichte hopes the experience with improve her critical thinking skills.

“They have a passion for helping us and making sure we’re representing well,” Schlichte begins. “I think it’s funny how our professors are more forthcoming or some of our professors are just more laid back.”

The following faculty coaches are working with panelists in preparation for the event:
Dr. Andrea Frantz – associate professor of Digital Media
Dr. Nathan Backman – assistant professor of Computer Science
Dr. Brad Best – professor of Political Science
Dr. Thomas Bonagura – assistant professor of Biology

During the October event, panelists will each ask Panetta two questions during the duration of the discussion. These questions, inspired by their own curiosity as well as critiques from their coaches and fellow panelists, are meant to serve as discussion points throughout the afternoon.

Senior communications studies major, Morgan Langan, applied to become a panelist because of her growing interest in politics. During her first year at BVU, her involvement with Student Senate allowed her to attend her first AHLS event.

“I think this is a really good opportunity to ask those questions about what our effect is,” Langan said. “It really hits home that without us, there is no change, there is no politics, and that it just isn’t those on top doing what works for them.”

Their next assignment is to create a second question based off of the Wednesday morning feedback.

“This is a huge opportunity,” Mendoza said. “I got to experience Condoleezza Rice as a freshman, and looking back, that was one of the coolest things here at BV.”