1st Amendment Week: Assembly on Campus
1st Amendment Week: Assembly on Campus
1st Amendment Week: Assembly on Campus
1st Amendment Week: Assembly on Campus

If sports decided the election

Kyle Auffert | Contributing Blogger

I know we’re all ready for the political ads and talk to be over, and after last night, we should all be on the right track to election detox. But what if sports were to decide the election rather than the people? Here’s my perspective on the topic.

To set the table, President Barack Obama was a state senator for the state of Illinois and worked as an attorney in Chicago before the election of 2008 made him President of the United States. On the other hand, Mitt Romney was the governor of Massachusetts before becoming the Republican nominee for the 2012 presidential election. So naturally, we’ll start here with Illinois vs. Massachusetts in all of the professional sports (the ones that matter that is).

NFL: New England Patriots vs. Chicago Bears
This would be a classic match-up to see this year with the unreal defense of the Bears going up against Tom Brady. It’s hard to go against the Brady bunch in a winner take all game, but I’m going with the Bears in a tight one, considering their defense almost has as many touchdowns as my Chiefs’ offense this year.
Obama 1 – Romney 0

NBA: Chicago Bulls vs. Boston Celtics
This is another great match-up that’s hard to pick this early in the season; however, I’m going with the old guys of the Celtics only because the Bulls are still without Derrick Rose. When Rose returns, this game’s a blowout, but for now, we’ll give it to the C’s and Romney.
Obama 1 – Romney 1

MLB: Boston Red Sox vs. Chicago White Sox
The Red Sox were absolutely horrid to watch this year as they collapsed under Bobby Valentine. The White Sox finished second in their division to the American League champs so I’m going with Chicago here.
Obama 2 – Romney 1

The next criterion is one on one basketball between the two candidates. Let’s be real, President Obama might end this thing up 21-0. The guy beat Clark Kellogg, a former NBA player, in a game of “Horse” on national television. Clutch gene right there my friends. Besides,in the first place there’s no chance you’re catching a white guy with a comb over on a basketball court, and you definitely won’t find him ballin’ at Obama’s level.
Obama 3 – Romney 1

The last criterion is sports knowledge between the two candidates. President Obama has shown his love of sports and knowledge by filling out and publicly posting his NCAA March Madness bracket each year he’s been in office. Mitt Romney won’t even show us his tax returns let alone how little he knows about sports. With Obama’s victory in this category, he takes the seven game series convincingly with his lone loss resembling a government handout with the absence of D-Rose.
Obama 4 – Romney 1

When it comes to sports, President Obama would dominate Mitt Romney. But in all seriousness, this presidential race definitely came down to the wire. Every vote counted this year, and I hope everyone got the chance to go out and vote. And finally…no more commercials!

Graphic by Krystal Schulte