BVU alcohol policy needs more realistic consequences for violations

Meghan Harmening | Opinion Editor

While interviewing for a Resident Assistant (RA) position last week, I was asked if there was a policy on campus I would like to change, and if so, how I would change the policy. I have been at Buena Vista University (BVU) for almost two years now and have seen my share of alcohol poisonings, documented parties, and stumbling drunk students. The question got me thinking about the policies on this campus and how relaxed some punishments are for breaking these policies. BVU’s alcohol policy is one with good intentions, but simply does not cut it for the students who need a firm hand.

Every alcohol policy violation comes with a different punishment for each student. Each case is treated separately based on the circumstances of the situation. However, from what I have heard from many students, the first violation comes with a stiff warning, a $75 fine, and a small blip on the student’s conduct record. This violation can be anything from having an open alcohol container in the hallway to being caught with a liter of vodka as an underage student. Either situation in the real world would be cause for a hefty fine or even a night in jail.

Over the past seven months, I have heard more complaints about and even seen more drunk students than I have since I began school here at BVU. Quite frankly, the majority of our campus is not the problem, but the select few who go out and drink consistently are. I would say the majority of our campus just wants a fun and relaxed weekend that may or may not include a drink or two but is more focused on hanging out with friends and finishing their homework. I am most definitely not saying that everyone should just sit in their rooms on a Saturday night, do homework, and go to bed by 10pm. What I am saying is that something needs to change on this campus. So far, education on the negative effects of alcohol has not seemed to work.

My suggestion? Change the consequences for an alcohol policy violation. As an RA, I recognize and realize that it is my responsibility to document any policy violations such as alcohol or noise while on duty over the weekends. However, even if all of the violations were documented, the consequences are so mediocre at best that too many students don’t find it worthwhile to stop their excessive drinking habit. If the alcohol policy were put into my hands, I would change the punishments associated with violating the alcohol policy.

I understand that the philosophy behind a small fine and a warning is that students will learn from their behavior and opt to change it. In my time here at BVU, I have seen very little change from the time I began school to now. Who says that just because we are a residential college in a small town, we shouldn’t be charged as any other adult would under for drinking under the age of 21? If the consequence for possessing alcohol on campus as a minor was an escort down to the local police station and a fine of $200 for a first offense and $500 for any subsequent offense, I would be willing to bet that less students would take on drinking alcohol as their favorite pastime (Source)

And that is just a minor in possession of alcohol. If the consequence for being legally intoxicated with a blood alcohol content(BAC) of .08 or higher – a simple misdemeanor- included up to 30 days in jail, and up to a $625 fine (as it is in the state of Iowa), I would bet, yet again, that less students would take part in drinking. And those fines are only for a first-time offense. A second offense for public intoxication is a serious misdemeanor, up to one year in jail, and up to an $1875 fine.

It is entirely understandable why students drink in their free time and on weekends here at BVU. Storm Lake isn’t exactly the epicenter of fun things to do. But if the administration is looking for a way to decrease the amount of alcohol violations on this campus, it seems they may have been looking in the wrong places. I understand that BVU does not want a bad reputation – I get it. But if we can lower the amount of alcohol violations on this campus, boost excitement for other fun activities, we could have a great thing going for us.

I say let’s give campus security breathalyzers. Increase the fines for common alcohol violations. Get the local police involved if we are actually serious about changing the amount of violations here on campus. Higher fines and punishments are more likely to change behavior. And while not every student will experience the higher fines, many will learn from others’ mistakes. It’s only a select few who are disrupting the peace for the rest of us. If something doesn’t change now, what do we have then? Storm Lake isn’t going to grow five times bigger in the next few months. BVU’s campus isn’t going to magically grow its own club, fancy student lounges, or a movie theater in the next few months. If something doesn’t change now, alcohol violations will remain prevalent on this campus – and no one wants to see someone else’s puke on the bathroom floor.

Graphic by Aaron Burns

View Comments (3)