Ways to get active as the weather warms up

Adam Ullerich | Opinion Assistant Editor

There are have been very rare times this semester where I have woken up before the sun. Its alarm clock must be impeccable. And do not even get me started on its motivation… It never misses a day, morning, or night! It’s like it is fueled by a seemingly infinite amount of hydrogen and helium atoms smashing together at extremely high speeds. Or something like that.

I regret not waking up to greet the sun every morning, but in these last couple of days (you know, the ones where it wasn’t raining/snowing, below 50 degrees, or windier than the top of Table Mountain), I have found great joy in grabbing a quilt, meandering my way down to Scout Park, facing west, and sharing the last shining moments of the day waving goodbye to the sun. If I am incapable of greeting it, I might as well send it off with a smile, right?

The weather is warming up, the sun is shining, and you are sitting in your room counting the days until the upcoming break- I get it. Oftentimes I find myself in the very same situation… so this got me thinking. What is there to do now that the weather is warming up?

Of course we could all go with the conditioned responses: “Storm Lake is boring,” “There is nothing to do,” or (my personal favorite), “There just is not any place where I can do all of the illegal things I want to do and get away with it!”

Bollocks. What a bunch of bollocks.

1. Go for a walk with friends, strangers, or by yourself.
You can go north, or east, or west, and if you walk far enough in those directions you can even go south eventually. Storm Lake has a trail surrounding the lake that students often do not utilize.

2. Go for a bike ride.
Not everyone has the luxury of a bike on campus; check out the Recreation House! They’ve got plenty of bikes in the garage. If none of those wheels suite your fancy give me a call.

3. Check out the parks in the surrounding area.
We have 3 parks very close to or on campus. Scout Park is just west of the Siebens Fieldhouse, Circle Park is between the football field and the lake, and Chautauqua Park is less than a mile east of campus on Lakeshore Drive. If you are up for a little further travel check out Frank Starr Park which is right past Pronto when you’re entering the town from the southwest- of course there is King’s Pointe Park as well. If you want to get out of town completely I would suggest Peterson Park (google maps can help with that one) or Spring Lake Park in Cherokee. If you go to Spring Lake Park you better let me know though! I love it- right on the Little Sioux River.

4. Enjoy the wonderful resources we have right here on campus.
The rec house has everything one could need to play almost any game and even to make up your own (open every day 3-9 if the work study shows up.) There is a sand volleyball court on the north side of the suites. There is a football/soccer field. There are neat-o tennis courts by the natatorium. And there is a lawn golf course.

On a side note, if anyone interested in heading a proposal for actual tee boxes on lawn golf (artificial grass or something) let me know. The ground is just shredded.

5. When you get tired of being outside do not be afraid to see the local museums as well.
The Buena Vista County Historical Society has a museum at 214 West 5th Street open Monday-Friday from 12:00-4:00 pm. Travel a little south from there and you’ll find an old school house and log cabin. A quick walk from campus is the Harker House which is very old and has lots of stories to share with those who want to listen.

6. Experience the Living Tree Museum.
It is very close to campus. One can bike through it, walk to it, cartwheel to it, it makes no difference. You can read the names of every tree or you can just enjoy the shade. Bring an instrument along and one can jam in the band shell, who knows, maybe someone will stop and listen.

Honorable mentions

• Frisbee golfing course just as you enter Lakeside on Lakeshore Drive.
  • Actual golfing at Sunrise Pointe, Lake Creek, Alta Municipal, or Alta’s West Links.
  • Fishing or swimming in the lake- if you do not want to shower but your hair is not up to your standards go dip it in the lake… just try it. Your hair will thank you.

This is just a brief list that has the purpose of enabling students with ideas for things to do and places to go… by no means should it be restrictive. Make up your own list, please! (And share!)

And if you happen to find yourself doing anything and want some company let me know- I’ll be sitting on the steps of the lake right by the Harriet Beecher Stowe Ash… talking to the sun.

Graphic by Justice Gage