Don’t shy away from change

Morgan Langan | Contributing Writer

College is scary. Or at least it seemed that way in the beginning, but I did everything in my power to make sure I was prepared for my college experience; that included picking the perfect major. I entered Buena Vista University (BVU) as a set-in-stone biology major; I had taken literally every science class my high school had to offer and during my senior year I served as a teaching assistant for my favorite teacher in a new advanced level biology class. I had a passion for science that I knew would follow me through college.

Then I got here.

The first biology class of my college career was an amazing start for me. I studied hard and cared about the material. A few weeks past midterms, the lectures were with a different professor and covered a section of biology I had very little interest in. The section was tough and I didn’t have the ambition to work hard to learn the material. Unfortunately, I ended the semester with a grade much lower than what I wanted. I am currently taking Biological Principles II and facing the same problem I had the end of last semester; I just do not care about the topics. Besides the short two weeks where I was really fired up, I hardly even want go to class. I couldn’t help but think, “Do I really want this to be my major?”

The thought of changing my major terrified me. I had my major mapped out since 6th grade. I wanted to be a marine biologist, but through the first semester and into the beginning of this semester, I wouldn’t even consider changing my major. Through this semester I was visibly unhappy, even hearing people suggest I change my major left me feeling lost. What would I change it to? What would I do with my new major? I felt stuck in situation where I needed to leave, but had no place to go.

I may be the only one to say this, but thank goodness for gen eds. Like most students, I am trying to get through my general education requirements fairly quickly. This led to me take Fundamentals of Communication this semester, and through this class I was reminded of how much I enjoyed my speech class and being part of the speech team in high school. I love this class and it led me to think, “If I were to ever change my major, it would definitely be to communication studies.” I still never thought I would actually change my major.

The revelation to change my major finally happened in a discussion with professor of communication studies, Dr. Mary Gill. Dr. Gill has guided me through my freshman year as my mentor. Through my time with her, I have had an immense amount of self-discovery and I have been forced to really think of my purpose for studying here. After several discussions, she discovered that I did, in fact, have a passion for communication and leadership. She suggested that I minor in communications or even pick up a double major. I sat down and hashed out a new four-year plan, still in denial that I needed a more drastic change than just adding a minor. The more I went through the course catalog, the more I realized that I was not in the right place. Finally, late one Sunday night and into Monday morning, I made the decision to change majors.

I was terrified. I turned in my change of major form and pondered all of my life’s decisions. Even now I’m not sure where my new major will take me as far as careers go, but I do know I am much happier thinking about my communications classes next semester in place of taking physics. It was a very important decision for my life-I am now doing something I know will make me happy, instead of feeling stuck in something just because I thought that’s what I wanted to do. I dropped my biology major to a minor, so I still get to study the subject that had my initial passion. Now I’m confident in my decisions and I’m ready to face the next three years with excitement.

If you experience any of the same doubts about your major or reservations about changing majors, I highly encourage you to talk to anyone and everyone: professors in your major, professors of your prospective major(s), friends, and faculty. Everyone is here to make sure your college experience is the best it can be.

Graphic by Justice Gage