Joan Curbow: The ultimate Beaver
Joan Curbow: The ultimate Beaver
May 3, 2024
Joan Curbow: The ultimate Beaver
Joan Curbow: The ultimate Beaver
May 3, 2024

Policy Check In: Bring Your Own Disaster (BYOD)

Lindsey Graham | Opinion Co-Editor

The stir buzzing around the new computer policy has been a hot topic of discussion. As the majority of students opted into purchasing a new computer, instead of keeping the one Buena Vista University provided, it has certainly been a change to our campus.

As one of the few college campuses that actually had a one-on-one program that provided computers to their students, by removing the program we no longer stand out. Some students came to Buena Vista University because of the incentive to not have to purchase a computer for college. Now, our campus is just more similar to any other college campus, but on a good note, what other school helps their students pay for a new device?

I personally opted into buying a new computer so I had my own device that was new. I wanted to be able to have a nice computer that I can have even after I graduate, so with the stipend and the discounts online through Buena Vista University, it would be more affordable now than if I had waited until graduation.

The BYOD program has its benefits. I like being able to have the computer I want. However, I was one of the students that paid to have the Mac instead of the HP. I think starting with the older HPs and then moving towards purchasing your own computer is a better advantage than moving over from the university’s Macs. On top of that, it was very beneficial that Buena Vista University still provided Microsoft Office for free to all students.

However, there are also various downsides to the new BYOD program, not to mention how hectic 2Fix has been with all the students visiting to try to set up their computers and get help. It was confusing to set up our printers, figure out how to download Microsoft Office, and connect to the new Wi-Fi accounts.

I am also missing the other programs that are no longer provided. Even through the schools discount, the Adobe suite is still a hefty $19.99 per month. A typical college student would not think twice about adding that to our small budgets as it is.

This has especially been a change for the Digital Media program. When school-issued devices came with the Adobe suite, classes could use class time to work on their projects. Now, it has become a challenge for professors and students alike to figure out how to work around the issue without forcing students to purchase the software. Although the department has a Mac lab with 12 desktops loaded with the Adobe suite, a class of 16 students is unable to efficiently use class time with hands on use.

Sophomore Ashley Lemke commented on other disadvantages of the program.

“A disadvantage is that they [BVU] have the hook ups and chargers readily available for presentations [for HPs]. Now, we had to go out on our own and see if this [computer] meets the criteria, and how expensive it is. You had to find the right computer for you so it was kinda hard to choose I guess,” Lemke said.

On the other hand, a handful of students did decide to keep their school-issued computer.

“I was issued a MacBook my freshman year here at BV. And I used it one year until the BYOD program started here at BV. And when BVU offered me the $550 I thought the MacBook was worth more than the $550, and I turned it down,” sophomore Mason Todd said.

“I’m $700 richer and didn’t have to make the awkward transition from computers. We all know what that transition is like. It’s like when you get a new girlfriend, there are always things you miss about the last one,” Todd said.

Graphic by Justice Gage