Student Politics: Big name elections and their effect on Iowa

Matt Meiners | Opinion Co-Editor

With elections seven and a half weeks away, a lot is going on in the state of Iowa. These elections will affect the federal government in a large way, and also the state and local elections that can change the structure of Iowa politics. Republicans have a chance to take the Senate in this year’s election, which would undoubtedly block any future actions the President would wish to pursue. The seat is currently held by Tom Harkin who is retiring after this term. Congressman Bruce Braley of the First District of Iowa is running on the Democratic ticket against Joni Ernst a Red Oak native on the Republican ticket.

Congressman Braley has the experience in Washington D.C. while he serves on the Energy and Commerce Committee, Communication and Technology Subcommittee, and Oversight and Investigations Subcommittee. Will it be enough to beat Lieutenant Colonel Ernst, a mother that commands the largest battalion in the Iowa Army National Guard and has served on the State Senate?

This is a race that many people are calling dirty because of all the Super Pacs that are getting involved. Right now is the time when we all see the commercials of the two candidates pointing out the others’ flaws and not telling us anything about themselves. The Cedar Rapids Gazette has announced three dates that the two candidates will debate on television. The first will be Sept. 28, followed by Oct. 11, and Oct. 16.

On the state level, Governor Terry Branstad is the incumbent being challenged by Jack Hatch. Governor Branstad is a very experienced Governor that has a 12-0 record in contested elections. Branstad has brought jobs again to Iowa, lowering the unemployment rate to 4.6%, well below the national level. Still continuing his goal to bring 200,000 more jobs to Iowa, according to Branstad’s website.

Jack Hatch is the Iowa State Senator running on the Democratic ticket against the Governor. Hatch has served in the Iowa Senate since 2003 and is currently an assistant majority leader. Hatch has also served in the Iowa House of Representatives, proving he has a history serving the state of Iowa. According to Hatch’s campaign site, he is looking to create better jobs in Iowa, protect Iowa’s water resources, create affordable health care for all, and create strategies to combat climate change.

Like the U.S. Senate race, the Governor and Senator Hatch are having a not so clean campaign as well. Hatch has fired lots of shots at the Governor based on some of his not so popular choices in the past. According to Real Clear Politics’ website, the Governor is in the lead by 14.5 points.

I expect these two races to continue to be close and exciting. I also recommend to everyone that you should vote. Voting makes a larger difference then people realize and it is very important. So stay informed with what is going on because we are getting to a point in our life that who we elect is going to affect us directly.

Graphic by Justice Gage