Obama, Biden Initiative starts a push that everyone can agree on

Matt Meiners | Opinion Co-Editor

In today’s world we have an idea of politicians that nothing ever gets done–all they ever do is argue, and they are greedy. That is an interesting discussion for another time, but what if there is a movement that stopped all of that? A movement that politicians and everyone can agree on. President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden have started a new initiative called “It’s On Us” to help stop sexual assault on college campuses.

I’m going to assume that almost every college is similar to Buena Vista University (BVU) in a way that in the beginning of the year, all the freshmen must learn about sexual assault on campus. I agree that it is a good thing, and there needs to be awareness. I personally never thought that it would come from the White House directly, though.

This initiative is targeting bystanders to step up when they see sexual assault, to possibly take place and not let it happen. An article in TIME magazine by Eliza Gray titled “Kerry Washington and Jon Hamm Star in Sexual Assault Prevention PSA” talks about how most sexual assaults take place in drinking environments–a place where there are people present to stop the assault from happening. The Department of Justice’s Office on Violence Against Women is giving six million dollars in grants to 18 colleges with plans to stop sexual assault.

Sexual assault is something that is obviously happening across America on college campuses. The movement to stop the sexual assault is becoming more prominent in America, and the message from the President and Vice President has helped tremendously. BVU has been having flyers around campus with the saying: “No More”.

I talked to BVU student junior Bennett Mann, and he had positive comments about the school’s actions.

“I think it is a good thing that BVU is trying to bring as much awareness as possible. Nothing can ever hurt when doing things like that,” Mann said.

I have to say I agree with Bennett and that BVU is doing a good job on trying to bring awareness to students. Sexual assault is something that I believe happens everywhere and that we do need to prevent. I hope that anyone who does see this or hears about this happening takes a stand against sexual assault. My advice would also be to ask a Resident Advisor if you have any questions about sexual assault and seek help if you need it. This is not a subject to take lightly, and it is something we can all agree on. Even with the politicians.

Graphic by Justice Gage