Joan Curbow: The ultimate Beaver
Joan Curbow: The ultimate Beaver
May 3, 2024
Joan Curbow: The ultimate Beaver
Joan Curbow: The ultimate Beaver
May 3, 2024

Influenza vaccine: Just do it

Courtney Muenchow | Staff Writer

The signs are everywhere. “Get your flu shot here!” Pharmacies in town have large banners hanging from the ceilings advertising their flu shots, and BVU sends out newsletter e-mails with places to get the shot on campus. Maybe some people have even heard it from family looking out for their well-being: “Get your flu shot.”

What is the big deal about this flu shot anyway? I’ve heard a variety of opinions about it, ranging from the shot being a necessity to it being a detriment to their health. Then, there are those who don’t understand exactly what the flu is. This is for those people. The flu, also known by its longer name of influenza, is not your everyday upset stomach, vomiting illness. That would be the stomach flu. Influenza is nowhere near as friendly. The CDC lists symptoms such as fever or chills, sore throat, headaches, and severe body aches. Whereas the stomach flu might last a few days and cause unpleasant trips to the toilet, influenza could last weeks and leave you exhausted and achy.

Maybe it is better to get the flu shot and just prevent all that from happening. A flu shot often costs only a few minutes of your time and a tiny prick of pain. Once it’s over, that’s usually it. A few people do encounter side effects to the vaccine, though. Some feel sick afterwards, which might deter people from the shot. However, an upset stomach isn’t really that bad compared to actually coming down with influenza.

There’s really only a few reasons not to get the vaccine. Obviously, if you’re allergic to anything in the shot, stay away. If everyone else around you gets vaccinated, hopefully that will be prevention enough against influenza. There are, I’m sure, other health concerns that might stop someone from receiving this vaccine, and anyone possessing those are also off the hook. They too have to rely on the people they’re close to. If everyone who can get the shot does get it, then those who can’t would have nothing to worry about.

If for no other reason, get the shot for them. It’s one thing if you come down with a preventable disease because of your own choice, but those without a choice don’t get that luxury. Besides, why not make life a little easier for yourself? Endure the tiny pinch of less than a second and you can avoid possibly weeks of discomfort. Although it’s completely your choice, the best answer is obvious.

Graphic by Justice Gage