Why should college students volunteer?

Jasmine Bautista | Contributing Writer

It is important to get involved. Volunteering starts with the want, the want to help others rather than yourself. At times, it is difficult to commit to something that is new, and possibly uncomfortable depending on the situation.

Curiosity is a major factor when volunteering- looking for a location and a cause that catches the attention that ultimately drive the “want” feeling. Many of us volunteer because of the positive impact that it has on the community, location, organization, and the people that are being helped. The actions range on how long and how big they can be, but the impact will always be big and appreciated. Everything a volunteer does touches the hearts of those being helped and those in charge.

When a person sets aside their wants and needs for just a few minutes, they make a difference. Those few minutes later turn to into hours, days, and eventually weeks.

As a college student starts to get more involved, they start growing a passion as if it is a seed; it gets planted, and little by little it grows. Volunteering and the passion of helping is just like a seed; it becomes more than just a past-time. For many, it evolves to a way of life. It is a lesson in itself. Individuals volunteer and learn about others and their situation, learn about a new culture, and about the stories and experiences of those involved. Relationships are built with the other volunteers and with the actual people receiving help. It helps get connected with peers around campus, connecting students from all majors, clubs, sports and extra-curricular activities. Volunteering unites everyone gathering them from their normal routine and normal comfort of well-known friends.

Volunteering is not always what students expect it to be when they hear that word. It has a whole new meaning when it is acted upon. It is important to volunteer because it breaks barriers not only with others, but also within one self. The personal growth that a person experiences is incredible. Stepping outside of the comfort zone and exploring the possibilities of volunteering give a whole new perspective to the individual.

As college students are always busy working on assignments, presentations, and group projects, there is usually a need of taking a break. What better way than to go and explore locations with volunteering opportunities. It gives students a chance to step away from the reality of school and busy schedules, to a place where kind hearts take the time to recognize individuals and give them a sense of identity. Not for an assignment nor for a project, but for the company they are giving to someone while helping them receive help with their needs. It teaches them that sometimes the reality is that giving back is the best way to take a break form the stresses that school brings.

Finally, being able to do something for others with a positive attitude and a want to make a difference helps to keep a student motivated. The mindset is changed and altered for the better, creating realizations that may have not always been clear. Raising awareness of others’ needs while creating a bond that is unforgettable, unbreakable, and irreversible.

The purpose is not to waste a few hours, but to make those few hours count for others, and to be kind and open the mind, heart, and soul in a way that may have never be open before. The importance is to realize that the love of helping and worrying about a complete stranger is a greater action and emotion that only grows with time.

Making a difference in more than one life, while creating a passion and a want to strive forward in one’s self. Getting a new perspective in life, building relationships with a variety of people, hearing stories that inspire to work harder, and seeing the seed grow a passion for helping are only but a few things one walks away with. The look in another person’s eye as you help and listen is the most amazing look of appreciation you can receive.