Caitlin Clark is cool, but I still don’t care about sports.
The Forgotten Member of the Five Freedoms
1st Amendment Week: Assembly on Campus
1st Amendment Week: Assembly on Campus
1st Amendment Week: Assembly on Campus
1st Amendment Week: Assembly on Campus

Top 5 reasons to be thankful

Ashley Lemke | Assistant News Co-Editor

During this time of year everyone seems to make social media posts and talk about why they’re thankful. I’d argue that we should be thankful every single day for the things we often take for granted. These are five things I think we should always be thankful for, no matter what time of year it is.

1. Education. We tend to take our college education at BVU for granted. There are so many other people who will never have the chance to go to a university and take part in all the wonderful things that we have a chance to experience. Be grateful that you’re going to a university that not only teaches you what you need to know to get a degree, but also is your second home for four years of your life. Some day you will look back at your college experience and wonder why you wished it away all too quickly.

2. Family. We assume our families will always be there for us no matter what. We put them off; we don’t call them for days or maybe even weeks because we’re “too busy.” Really? We’re too busy to talk to the people who raised us and took care of us for the majority of our lives? Never forget to be thankful for your family, because when everything else in your world is falling apart, they will be your foundation. They will remind you how strong you are and where you came from. They will be your rock. Do not take them for granted because they are the only ones who will always be there for you no matter what. Reach out to your family and let them know how thankful you are for them and how much you appreciate them.

3. Friends. They have your back at your highs and your lows. Friends will pick you up when you’re down and shine when you succeed. They can make you laugh when you didn’t even want to smile. You make friends in college that will last a lifetime. Don’t forget to tell your friends how much you appreciate them. Write them a note saying how happy you are that they are in your life. Just remind them how much they mean to you because everyone wants to feel appreciated.

4. Food. There are so many people in the world don’t even have the resources to have three meals a day. Some children go hungry all their lives. Sometimes that’s really hard to think about, but next time you’re having a meal, just think about how very lucky you are to be able to afford that food. Don’t be wasteful; take what you need. Be thankful that you’re fortunate enough to have food on the table because so many don’t.

5. The little things. Have you ever just stopped and thought about the little things in your life that bring you joy; like getting a coffee, taking a walk, buying a new gadget, getting to know a new friend, or finding a song that just makes you happy? Think about all the little things in your life that make you smile. Don’t take those little moments for granted. Embrace them. Enjoy them. Never take them for granted. The little things in life are the best things.

During this holiday season, I encourage you to keep your thankful attitudes through the rest of the year. Don’t take things for granted. Be thankful for the little things and always stay humble. We live such rich and wonderful lives, but we don’t take the time to truly enjoy them. Take each moment, live it to the fullest and I promise you won’t regret it. Being thankful is the key to happiness.