Caitlin Clark is cool, but I still don’t care about sports.

Studying abroad during the midst of a terror-torn world

Meghan Harmening | Staff Writer

Terror attacks are happening nearly every day around the world. In the past week we’ve seen innocent lives taken in several countries: Mali, Tunisia, Paris, Kenya, and more. Countries in the Middle East are growing tenser as air space is invaded, religions are no longer tolerated, and tiffs are simply an everyday occurrence. Citizens around the world are changing their lifestyle as security is increased in transportation and awareness grows for world events.

But life in Florence hasn’t changed a bit. I still attend classes regularly. I still frequent my favorite coffee shop. I still go to the nail salon to get a manicure for fun. I still see my friends every day.

Traveling hasn’t ceased here, as I continue to go on the trips I had planned previous to the Paris attacks. Some students have decided to stop traveling, but I have simply decided that this life is for living. I personally don’t feel at risk, but will continue to be cautious while traveling.

In several of my classes we have discussed world events, but again, here in Florence little has changed. The train station has added security before boarding the trains, but nothing that could stop a terrorist. My school now has a guard outside the door, but again, nothing that could stop a terrorist. Now I’m not saying this to scare my friends and family, I really don’t think a terror threat exists here in Florence.

Being on the same side of the world as many of these terror attacks has definitely changed my perspective though. Of course in the days after I saw many of my friends back home post about the Paris attacks: prayers, support, etc. But my thoughts were completely different. Safety is a huge issue here in Europe, even if not in Florence as much. I contacted friends and family to make sure they knew I was safe. I made sure my fellow BVU students abroad were safe.

And now, almost two weeks after the attacks, I think Paris was simply the tipping point for the media. The United States’ citizens almost needed an ally to be attacked in order to see how the rest of the world is already suffering. Don’t get me wrong, that doesn’t make the attacks any better. But our media doesn’t give us the entire picture – only what is good for ratings. Here in Europe, everything around the area is reported on – things that most likely aren’t even touched on in the US. It is my sincere hope that after events such as these, students in the United States – and others, of course – will seek out the truth from all around the world. Because what happens to our allies is just the start, we must also know what happens to other countries, even our enemies. The attacks aren’t going to just stop any time soon, so we must take it upon ourselves to be educated, to urge our government to team up with other nations. Challenge yourself to understand and tolerate other opinions and positions other than your own. Because only then can we truly achieve peace.

“Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be achieved by understanding.” – Albert Einstein

Photo courtesy of Samantha Hirschman