Stunts first home competition
Stunt's first home competition
March 22, 2024
When I arrived, to my surprise, a Piper Archer II had just landed and way taxiing back to the hangers.
Sunday's pit stop: A gallery by Joshua Tigges
March 2, 2024
A shot at partnership: BVU and Mercy College launch 3 + 1 nursing program
March 1, 2024
Hot Dish literary magazine submissions open
February 23, 2024
Stunts first home competition
Stunt's first home competition
March 22, 2024
March 2, 2024
March 1, 2024
February 23, 2024

Oh My Dog

Hannah Appleseth + Jasmine Demers | Bloggers

This week on Oh My Dog we are sharing some of the funniest stories about our dogs in hopes to brighten your day.

Hello again dog lovers, this is Hannah and for part of todays post I am going to be sharing stories about Leo, of course.  My first story takes place at my friend Anna Koch’s house.  Anna’s family had recently adopted a three legged dog named Blaze who is a chihuahua-weiner dog-terrier mix (and is somehow still cute) from a rougher part of California. Blaze had a difficult start to life, living on the streets with his single mother taking care of him and his siblings, barely getting by. Anna’s aunt rescued Blaze and his family and provided a foster home for them and then Anna’s family adopted Blaze.  (Which by the way, providing a foster home for dogs or adopting dogs is a great thing to do to saves our furry friends.) Anyway, Blaze is a little timid because of his rough past, which is understandable.  One day I asked if I could bring Leo over because I didn’t want to leave him home alone. The Kochs kindly allowed my dog into their home.  Leo and Blaze were introduced and I didn’t think it would be a problem because Leo has always been a very friendly dog.  However, I was wrong.  I turned and looked at the two dogs only to see Leo lift his leg and then proceed to PEE on Blaze. Needless to say, Leo was not invited back to their house.

omd2

omd1

My next story is one of my absolute favorite Leo stories.  So my brother George and Leo have never gotten along.  Maybe it has to do with the fact that George likes to slide Leo across the floor to see how far he goes, or randomly runs at him while yelling something to scare him, or grabs his paws and makes him dance to various songs, you get the point. Anyways, we moved into a new house my junior year of high school and as the months went by we noticed that Leo only pooped in one room of the house, and that room was George’s. As a disclaimer, I don’t encourage Leo going to the bathroom inside and have worked hard to potty train him, but I made an exception for this occasion. One day George had a girl over to our house.  Momma Ann told George they could hang out in his room as long as he kept the door open, so George of course took that as if it is 1 cm open that counts, right? I was sitting in our living room which is by George’s room, so I got to witness this whole thing go down.  I watched Leo nudge the door open and wander in, only to discover that George was in his room.  Leo then proceeded to step right outside the doorway of George’s room and poop while looking at George the whole time. He then quickly ran away knowing that George was going to be irate. George was indeed pissed and I had to clean the poop up.  It was worth it though.  
omd3

omd4

Hi everyone, this is Jasmine. My story is from the fourth of July. This was also only the third day I had Maxx. July 4th is a big deal in Storm Lake (we love America regardless of our vast diversity). Like every year, my family was going to the parade and downtown activities that morning. Maxx and I were inseparable, so obviously he tagged along. Maxx was sitting on my lap in the car. I quickly learned that he was not a fan of car rides because it looked like Edward Scissorhands gave me a leg massage. We had been driving around for quite a while looking for the best possible parking spot (overlooking decent ones on the way).

Turn.
Stop.
Go.
Reverse.
*Cuss word from dad*
Stop.
Turn.
*Hits pedestrian*
Go.
Turn.
Reverse.

Finally, we gave up and found a spot way worse than the decent ones we saw in the beginning. Just as we came to a halt, Maxx expressed that he did not like my classic Old Navy tank top and thought it would be a good idea to jazz it up with his breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Seriously, what a sweetheart! So, there I sat covered in puke trying to comfort my little sick puppy as the rest of my family was arguing and trying to climb over me to get out of the car. I ended up having to wear my dad’s huge shirt (no offense dad we know it’s all muscle) for the rest of the day, but don’t worry Maxx loved the Parade (minus the fire trucks) and the attention he received from every passing stranger.

My next story is about my Aunt’s dog (quick shout out to Aunt Barb). The story took place at her house when I was fairly young. She had a large dog with the very fitting name of Bear (refer to below for a picture of Bear and I from my obese childhood). I was never one to be scared of dogs, because clearly I love them. Like usual, I was having a blast playing with Bear, until he decided my face looked tasty. I appreciate the compliment, Bear, but next time just tell me. He took a pretty good bite at my eyebrow. Instinctively, I thought that they would have to kill Bear because of it, so I immediately covered my face with my hands. Everyone kept asking me what was wrong and if my head hurt, but I just shook my head no. Eventually my mom removed my hands from my face to see blood. We got it all cleaned up, and somehow I am a survivor. Good news: they did not have to kill Bear. Bad news: he eventually died due to old age.

omd5

Ps. I am the one on the left.

Featured Dog of the Week: JJ

omd6

This sweet bulldog belongs to a couple of our favorite people on campus, Autumn and Cheyanne Boland. For those of you who don’t know, the Boland sisters are the beautiful blonde haired, blue eyed girls who are both really good at softball. Their family adopted JJ around Thanksgiving. When asked about JJ, Cheyanne says he is her pride and joy while Autumn says he is her spirit animal (probably because he sleeps 21 hours of the day).

Likes: Sleeping

Dislikes: Bath time, boxes, the doorbell, brooms and Autumn

We can’t thank you enough for reading!
Much love,
Jasmine and Hannah

Where do you find a dog with no legs? Right where you left him.

Graphic by Nic Gibson

View Comments (2)