Kampus with Kylee: Iowa Nice

Kylee Deering | Blogger

Iowa is known for many things; corn, the Iowa State Fair (which by the way is on the 100 Things To Do Before You Die list so if you haven’t gone, GO!), corn, cows, corn, the flyover state and corn. But we’re also known for this thing called “Iowa nice.” What is “Iowa nice” anyway? It’s the way we hold open doors for those behind us, shut down small towns on Friday nights to cheer on the local high school football game, and wave at someone you pass on the highway, stranger or not.

Coming from a small town I used to think that everybody was just that nice. Everybody supported each other, everybody helped each other out in times of need, and everybody said hello in passing. Even in our bustling and growing city of Des Moines you can find a friendly face that’s sure to at least wave or smile as they walk by you. It wasn’t until I ventured to other states outside of our Midwest area that I discovered not everyone is simply that nice. People have things to do and places to be and you’re lucky if you get even a head nod in your direction. People mind their own business and keep to themselves in a way that’s different than our friendly nature.

A few days ago, I saw some people talking on Yik Yak. Some were from here and others from out of state. They were arguing about if “Iowa nice” was a thing. Those from states with bigger cities and hustle and bustle commented that it was absolutely a thing they found to be true in coming to college in Iowa. I smiled as I scrolled through this conversation, thinking about how much I appreciate growing up in such a genuinely friendly state.

For those who have come to BVU from out of state, welcome to the nice state. For those who have grown up here, be sure to wave to someone else in passing, smile or ask how somebody’s day is going. Pass on the “Iowa nice” to somebody else.