Your Vote Counts

Haylie Book | Opinion Assistant Editor

With it being an election year, everybody is constantly discussing the candidates and who they will be voting for. News, television, and basically any other type of media you can think of, is filled with Donald Trump versus Hillary Clinton. Being on a college campus, there has been plenty of people discussing their opinions of the two candidates. While some people may say they absolutely will never vote for Trump, others feel the same way about Clinton. When it comes down to it, many people have said, “I suppose I’ll have to pick the lesser of the two evils.” It is essential to consider the fact that maybe, just maybe, you don’t have to pick the lesser of the two evils. If you truly feel this way, there are other candidates out there from independent parties to vote for. This election does not need to be just Trump versus Clinton.

For as long as most can remember, elections have been about the democratic and republican candidates. It has almost reached a point where it is no longer about the individual candidates, but instead about political parties. According to the Des Moines Register, around 37% of Iowans voted straight ticket in the 2014 general election. A straight ticket vote is essentially voting for every candidate within a political party. The focus of elections has shifted, and for this election especially, it is critical we recenter our motives. If you find yourself disagreeing with both Trump and Clinton’s views, look into other candidates.

If you need a frame of reference for other candidates to look at, there are several that may fit into your personal beliefs. Gary Johnson is from the Libertarian Party, which is known to be a sort of “middle ground” between the Republican and Democratic parties. Johnson is known for being the governor of New Mexico. According to his website, during his time as governor, he balanced the state’s budget and left the state with a billion-dollar surplus. If you are interested in hearing more about Johnson’s political views, you can check out them out here.

Jill Stein is another candidate from an independent party, known as the Green Party. The Green Party focuses on issues such as social justice, environmentalism, and nonviolence. According to her website, she holds the current record for most votes ever received by a woman candidate for President in the general election. Here is where you can look more into Stein’s views.

While these are just two options for independent party candidates, there are plenty more out there. Research various candidates, not just the “main” two, and get yourself informed. Vote for the person who fits your views the most, not just who you think might win. An article on The Star, Canada’s largest newspaper, claims that most Americans say that their votes are “motivated by a desire to cast their ballot against Clinton or Trump.” This is not what should determine your vote. If you are strongly against one of the candidates, you do not have to vote for the other by default.

Every vote counts. If you do your research and become an informed voter, you will make a difference in the world. Just because third party candidates rarely become President, does not mean that it is impossible. Make the best choice for yourself, and make the best choice for our country. At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter how others are voting. What really matters is that you use your vote for a candidate that you believe will be the best President of the United States. Do not vote out of fear, and do not vote with the crowd. If every person does this, we can change the game of political elections.