108 Years Is a Long Time

Kyle Wiebers | Contributing Writer

108 years is a long time. The United States has had 19 presidents in that time period. And the Chicago Cubs have had zero World Series titles in that time. Until now. On an overcast Wednesday night, in Cleveland, Ohio, a miracle happened. After nine hard fought innings in Game 7 of the World Series, the score was tied between the Cleveland Indians and the Chicago Cubs. Then the rain came. Cubs fans groaned, but really, everyone had been waiting 108 years, what was 20 more minutes? After one more inning of play, the Chicago Cubs were crowned World Champions.

The game of baseball has been referred to as, the national Pastime of America. In recent years, that has been brought into question because “the game is too slow” or “football has become more popular” for some people. But really, there is no question that baseball is the pastime of our country. In 1942, Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier, America followed suit in 1964 with the Civil Rights Act. The United States looked to the game of baseball after the 9/11 attacks as President Bush threw out the first pitch at a New York Yankees game. Most people know, baseball fan or not, that there are nine innings in a game of baseball and three outs in an inning. Baseball is America’s Pastime. America looks to baseball when times are hard.

Last night, closing in on midnight, countless people were glued to their TV, wondering if the Cubs would prevail in extra innings or if The Curse would continue into its 109th year. Kris Bryant recorded the 30th out and chaos ensued. Bill Murray danced, strangers hugged, grown men cried, and the whole country saw it. This is not a reaction that would be brought upon by a simple game. Baseball is a way of life in this country. I myself, a Yankees fan, was brought to tears (of joy) by the result of the game as well. Chicago is having a celebration like none other today. Last night, people were running up and down the halls of the dorms screaming, “The Cubs won! The Cubs won!” Every person I know, whether or not they consider themselves a baseball fan, knows that the Cubs won the World Series.

Throughout the years, baseball has provided a distraction from events surrounding us, but also set an example for us to follow. Like in 1942. Like in September of 2001. Like on November 2, 2016. An approaching election has the country nervous. Our country is uncomfortable and fearful after the unnecessary murders of two police officers. But baseball, at least for a few hours, provided the relief we all needed. As a country, last night we all came together. Cleveland fans, Chicago fans, and non-fans alike, came together to celebrate Game 7 of the World Series. For at least a few hours, we were all one – hoping and cheering, for different teams, yes, but together, as one. One nation – celebrating our national pastime together.

Photo by Dee Friesen