Beaver football makes strong comeback against the Storm

Kelsey Ackerman | Sports Co-Editor

As spectators entered Leslie J. Rollins Stadium on Saturday, Oct. 4th, the feeling of Homecoming was in the air. Alumni and current students, along with family and other supporters of the Beavers, came together to cheer on Buena Vista University (BVU) football team for their Iowa Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (IIAC) opener against Simpson College.

The Beavers had a slow start against the Storm, but in the final two minutes of the first half, they scored 21 unanswered points. The second half consisted of a few big defensive plays to end with a 38-31 homecoming victory for the Beavers.

“Going into this game, we wanted to limit their run game on offense and we thought we could throw the ball against their defense,” head coach Jay Anderson said.

On the offensive side for the team, senior Gunner Gilland had a record setting day. He broke the single-game record of 15 catches and also 236 yards receiving. Adam Cave (2013) and Tracy Golly (1985) had the previous record with 11 catches, while Jalen Henningson (2013) held the previous record with 193 receiving yards.

“It’s a good feeling [breaking records]. With all the weapons that we have on our offense it makes my job easier. Our offense was able to take advantage of the opportunities that were present,” Gilland said.

Along with Gilland’s three touchdowns, senior quarterback Bobby Brown was able to connect with senior Adam Cave and junior Ben Seitz for two additional touchdowns. The remaining points came from sophomore kicker Tyler Stolen.

Defensively for the Beavers, senior Ryan Anderson had seven tackles with two game changing interceptions. Junior Beau Van Wechel led the team with 111 tackles and one sac.

“Because of the situation, everyone on defense knew we had to make a big play in order to keep the lead. During the play as I was running alongside the receiver I saw his eyes widen and hands start to come up, which means the ball is close, so I turned around at the last second and the ball was right there,” Anderson said.

The game ended in exciting fashion, as senior Derek Schwartz made an interception at the seven-yard line. The Beavers then took over on downs and took a knee to run out the clock.

“There is no better feeling than preparing for a game with all your best friends and coming out to a great homecoming crowd and executing a game plan to pull out a victory. Also it’s always nice to beat Simpson,” Schwartz said.

Moving forward in IIAC play, coach Anderson states that the team needs to keep making progress in all three phases.

“We can play better on the defensive side of the ball and on offense we need to be more consistent. We have to be able to run the ball on third and short and pick up a first down,” coach Anderson said.

BVU improves to a 2-2 overall record, and they are 1-0 in the IIAC. They will look to take another conference match as they travel to face the Duhawks of Loras this coming Saturday, Oct. 11th taking the field at 1:00 p.m.

Photos by Taylor Staab